Contact Us

By phone
You can ring 020 7364 4251
Our opening hours are Monday to Friday: 9.00 am – 5.00 pm

By email
You can email us at

By mail
You can write to us at:

London Borough of Tower Hamlets
Town Hall
Human Resources
Pensions Services
Mulberry Place
5 Clove Crescent
London E14 2BG

Compliments, complaints and disputes

What to do if things go wrong

We make every effort to get things right so you do not have any complaints. If you do have a complaint please contact us so we can put things right as quickly as possible.
If we cannot resolve your complaint informally, we have a formal disputes procedure you can follow.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)
At any time, if you are having difficulties in sorting out your complaint, you may wish to contact TPAS. TPAS can provide free advice and information to explain your rights and responsibilities.

Pensions Ombudsman
If you are not happy with the response to your complaint and TPAS have not been able to help you, you can get in touch with the Pensions Ombudsman who can investigate your case.
Helpful information:

Related Links


The Pensions Advisory Service

The Pensions Ombudsman

Related Documents

Dispute Procedure Guide